As one of the first family emergency shelters in Kansas City, reStart has been helping homeless families since 1987. Today, reStart’s Family Shelter provides for the immediate needs of families, including food and shelter, as well as offering a wide range of support services. This program also offers opportunities for more longer-term transitional housing as families seek to make the transition from homelessness to permanent housing.
- Families are not required to vacate the building and re-enter daily, reducing the stress of finding space in the shelters
- Parents are not required to be employed, and reStart assists in finding employment
- All families are welcome, regardless of race, age, gender, sexual orientation, or marital status
- Families in our Family Shelter Program receive individualized case management to help each family develop specific, personalized goals and action steps that will lead them to self-sufficiency.
Services provided include:
- Employment and on-the-job training
- Housing assistance
- Life skills and financial literacy classes
- Mental health screenings
- Individual, family and child therapy substance abuse recovery services
- Health and nutritional education and screening
- Art therapy and arts activities for adults and children
- Family field trips and educational activities
In 2017, reStart provided services to a total of 494 families, (a total of 1,042 persons). Of those families, 187 were moved into permanent housing. We also provided Rapid Rehousing for 27 families.
If you need emergency shelter, please call 816-472-5664.